Saturday, April 17, 2010

On mornings like these
I open my eyes and think
about how all this time I thought
of myself as a riddle-
with black-hole eyes
and question-mark teeth.

You know me better than I thought.
You say I am vague but I think
my eyes
let on. You chuckle and your teeth
are like little pearls. These
little pearls shaped like a moon from a riddle.

You have plum skin in your teeth
and sleep in your eyes.
And you are the riddle.
We talk and you think
about these things
that I thought.

I remember when you asked what I'd think
if you did things, these
things I thought your eyes
knew the answers to- I thought.
And so I said nothing. I'm tired of riddles.
So, you clenched your teeth.

So here we have another riddle-
one that no eyes
or teeth
could have thought
I knew the answers to. No, these
eyes were glazed, I think.

I am a basket of plums your eyes
inspect and turn over in thought.
I am heavy as I think
"yes these
days are all riddles."
You know. You show your teeth.

I am not a riddle.
I know when I see your moon-like eyes
and little pearls for teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment